So I didn’t get to watch the live stream of Sony’s Playstation 4 launch event. And I'm a pretty simple gal that just wants the important details. After scouring the net for information and reading long articles, here’s what we know, in a nutshell:
- Dualshock 4 controller has motion tracking capabilities, headphone jack, touchpad, and a “share” button to allow players to send screen shots and video clips to social networking sites (Facebook, Playstation Network, Ustream)
- 8-core CPU, 8 GB of RAM, x86 processor (whoa), and a power packed GPU
- A new UI, where you can suspend your game and resume right where you left off
- Backwards compatibility with PS3 games? NO. BUT, the plan is to have all consoles be playable on the PS4 including PS3, PS2, PS1, Vita, etc via a cloud service.
- Full integration with the PS Vita so players can play PS4 games on the PS Vita as well
- Price? Not revealed, but unconfirmed rumors predict it to be around $450-500
- Release date sometime before Christmas 2013.
This console is definitely going to change the world! Cloud gaming and social networking capabilities? I suppose I expected this, considering recent tablets, phones, and cameras are all connected to social networking and we are seeing a transition to cloud services. So why not gaming? Makes perfect sense. In addition, they mention that you can allow friends to “take over” and assist you in gaming, and they can watch you play.
Whatchu gonna do Microsoft??